12.18.2006

190 Pineapples for Bread

For Christmas, I asked for frogs. Specifically, Mini African frogs.

Well, Christams being awesome and all, I got them, the frogs. Early. Early, as it is not Christmas yet. Early as a result of the warm temps yesterday.
Easier for transport of amphibians. So they say.

So yea, I am totally in love with them.

Pictures to come, but first I will introduce you to them textually.

Littlest Frog: Name is Frankie. Has semi-transparent skin and a reddish leg. Likes to float at the top of the tank and chill. If he were a person, he would be a 145-pound guy wearing a two-tone yellow ringer tee and a striped wool hat.

Middle Frog: Clarissa, named after Mrs.Dalloway fame. Active, but not spastic. Likes flowers and lace. Likes to lay on top of the other frogs. In other words, the resident slut.

Big Guy: Named Bread. Kinda like Madonna. Or Meatloaf. Or Sade.
A lumbering fellow. Like a tall tale guy, Paul Bunyan or John Henry or whatever.
Poor Bread (see below).

SO. Story.

Yesterday I brought the crew home and went about transferring them from carrying tote plastic thing to aquarium.

Fine so far.
Then, 30 minutes pass. And Bread is not moving.
Then an hour.
Then three.
Still, Bread lay still, wedged in the corner of the tank, unswayed by any amount of glass-tapping and freezedried-bloodworm-feeding.

I call Jason: "Bread has passed on."

We mourn. It is sad.

We discuss getting another frog to replace Bread, though would that be too soon? Too heartless?

Oh Bread, dearest, we heardly knew ye.

I didn't want to deal with the deathness of it all til morning.
I slept restlessly, thinking of how I would scoop him out of the corner with a dessert spoon in the morning. And flush him. And it would be horrid.

I got up this morning. Poured myself a glass of water. Turned to say hello to the froggies.

BREAD! He was gone.

No, he was there, on the other side of the tank.
Moving sluggishly, but totally totally alive.

A true Christmas miracle!
GO BREAD GO!

Bread is like Jesus '06.
His new nickname is totally Manna.

5 Comments:

Blogger eileen said...

I love frogs! I demand photos!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Go Bread Go!

What a great Christmas gift. I heart tiny frogs. :)

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was there an angel that appeared to you and was the glory of the lord shining round about you and were you so'r afraid?

Go Bread. He must be multigrain.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Hooker said...

we had a frog in my mom's fishtank over a decade ago.

he was a transparent little guy named Dragnet.

4:40 PM  
Blogger mance01 said...

I freaking love this story.

And tiny frogs.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home