10.11.2006

34 Mulligans for Enfranchised Bicyclists

bikeI was driving through Somerville today, humming along merrily to the Pussycat Dolls, when WHAM-O, I was visually besieged by the bumper sticker stopped at the light in front of me:

I BICYCLE. AND I VOTE.

Um. Okay.
I, uh, OWN A BOOKSHELF. AND I EAT.

Seriously, what the fuck is that supposed to mean? I BICYCLE. AND I VOTE?
Huhwha?
I did not know.
So, I went back to work and asked Mike: “What the fuck is that supposed to mean?”
Our best guess was that it was some sort of Dadaist bumper sticker experiment, which actually would have been pretty cool.
We quickly co-google.

The verdict: It’s a real thing. Like, an actual campaign. Like, somebody thought of this slogan. On Purpose.

Mind-blowing.

And then I think, “Hmm. Know what that reminds me of?
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."

To which Mike is all “What the fuck is that supposed to mean?”
So I promptly wikify Chomsky and his iconic nonsensicalocity.

Upon burrowing down further and further into Wikivillia (not without turning up this fantastic contest from a lit magazine asking people to provide context for Chomsky’s sentence in 100 words or less), I find this great online version of the Exquisite Corpse, one of my favorite games ever invented by Surrealists.

[At this juncture I will subtly encourage you to read Breton’s Manifestoes of Surrealism. Because everyone can use a lil' polysemous meaninglessness on a Thursday.]

**flickr thanks to annais.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many bumper stickers are carrying ceramic pottery through door hinges of asphalt money in one big pyramid energy drink.

10:42 PM  
Blogger jayniek said...

now that's just awesome.

see? see why surrealism is the shit?

7:24 AM  
Blogger Hooker said...

the worst bumper sticker i've seen lately is one that read "i <3 my german shepherd" with a picture of the new pope next to it.

5:38 PM  
Blogger jayniek said...

wait. hooker. on the same bumper sticker? i mean i see "pope and poodles" or whatever, but the german shepherd connection is a stretch.

6:41 PM  
Blogger jayniek said...

okay. i just had someone explain that to me.

and that's funny.

also, i hate myself for not getting that joke. wow.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Hooker said...

well the new pope is german. and that guy driving the car was a sheep.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home