8.10.2006

59 Overly Referential Pineapples for The Grand Prix Cafe

There's this new coffee/panini/other stuff place that just opened on Mass Ave, right on the Cambridge-Somerville line, and I desperately want it to succeed.

Guess what it's called.

The Camberville Cafe?

NO.

Outsida Davis?

NOO.

Ummmm... The BookMonger?

No. But sorta close.

The Grand Prix Cafe.
True.

Okay, so why do I want this place to succeed so bad?
Simple. Their logo, which, if you look at the bigger version on their homepage, is actually smoke furls interwoven with a silver race car, makes me think of Futurist sculptor Boccioni, which forces me to then reference Nike of Samothrace, which is one of my favorite works in all-of-all-time-everywhere. But the whole shift relies on a common ol' coffee cup, which gives it this other cool pop-arty layer that isn't there on the Nike of Samothrace cum Unique Forms of Continuity in Space evolution.

Billowy becomes sleek, and movement is captured in metallic angles. It's like 6 degrees of dorky art history allusions...AND they have grilled chicken and pesto paninis.

Now tell me that's not a win-win.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

i love Nike as well. have you ever seen it (her) in person? absolutely breathtaking. i feel like it was a defining moment of my life. or at least of that trip.

1:35 PM  
Blogger jayniek said...

Luckily, I have. Amazing, amazing, amazing.
I totally seriously got lightheaded from awestruckedness...
and then nearly passed out 7 minutes later when i spied the Venue de Milo not 100 yds away.

It's like being punched in the face in the most magnificent way possible.

1:39 PM  
Blogger jayniek said...

I could have spelled "Venus de Milo" correctly, but really, where's the mystery in that?

1:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

seriously. and then you see the Mona Lisa and it's like "that's it?".

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home