4.12.2006

18 Crabbers for an Overvamped Cask


It's tough for me right now. It really is. I'm trying to broaden myself and so on, but I find myself one-trackin' with the Sox just as I did with the Goog a few short months ago. My mind gets occupied, then significantly wooed, and then --abruptly-- stolen away fiercely... like a puggle without a leash.

But this post actually hearkens back to my la-di-da-di about authenticity. For those of you familiar with sox lore, check out this pic of the new look of the Cask n' Flagon. It has a neon sign. And fresh paint. And cracker-jack breaded clams (woof?). And, like, a rotunda thing.

It nearly makes me cry.

If I want to stick to my guns and say that authenticity is always intimate and relative, then I have every right to take these renovations as a personal attack.

:: 18 crabapples for tampering with an unclassy classic.
:: However... 44 redemptive pineapples for the newly installed plasmas in the bathrooms. Smoooth, homeslices.


*Thanks to the B.Herald for the photographic proof of this horrific man-made disaster of an entryway.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is nothing worse than the renovation or gentrification of a hallowed hole in the wall. Sometimes it is nice to go to a place that clearly has not seen a can of paint since the last time the sox won the Series. Do you think you can talk the Cask to going back to the way it once was... but keeping those TV's?

6:41 AM  
Blogger Cranky said...

Hey, the Sox won the world series 2 years ago. You need a better reference point for your paint comment.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought about qualifiying it by saying I meant the 1918 win...

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

change is tough...but...ever get the feeling us sox fans are becoming charactures of ourselves? c&f seems to just be falling into line with the animated brigade...

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home